Friday, May 18, 2012

The Start of Practical Shooting SA

The Start of a new Sport for us.
Our interest lies in IPSC (International Practical Shooting Confederation)
I have never owned a gun so for me it is starting right at the beginning.
I am hoping that all the information here will be of use anyone interested in the sport and should you have a view, please feel free to add your piece here. We can all benefit from collective information. 
I have now completed my written Competency Certificate Course and the practical shooting section. I have opted to do my Competency Certificate in Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun and Carbine. This leaves my options open should I decide to take part in 3Gun events later on.
My Competency Certificate was issued by Highveld Guns and then all the documentation went in to the SAPS complete with photograph and fingerprints. Now I just to wait for the official Competency Certificate that will be issued by SAPS.
In the mean time we have been visiting various clubs and gun shops to see what our options are.
Near Alberton there is Golden City Shooting Club with Lovely ranges and we have been present when they have had a League Shoot.  All looks well organized.
In Pretoria there is Vektor Club where all the members had all the time in the world to inform us of all the ins and outs of the sport.
We will have to decide where we are going to join as we are virtually half way between the two clubs.
Now finding the right handgun is also another major decision to make. What class are you going to shoot? What calibre are you going to shoot? Are you going to shoot Major or Minor? The list goes on and on and eventually if you listen to everyone and their opinions you will lose the plot. You have to make a decision and move on from there.
We have both selected to shoot with a 40 calibre handgun in the Standard Division. I am taking a bit of a gamble with the larger calibre but if you do not challenge yourself what good is it taking part.
I am really excited about this venture and cannot wait to get started. There is so much to learn, so many new people to meet, so many goals to set and challenges to meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment